Sunday, April 13, 2008

First Post

This blog will serve as way to share the latest info for my mom Donna as she begins treatment for brain cancer.

To get started here's a quick background I stole from my own blog post:

Blockquote
I'm not sure there are any scarier words you can hear than 'brain cancer'. My mom went to see her doctor for blurry vision, and he recommended a CAT scan. With the results showing numerous lesions in her brain, she had a biopsy that confirmed cancer. I really couldn't have been more shocked, and got the first flight I could back home to Pennsylvania.

After spending a week at home with my family I have many more answers. It turns out my mom has aednocarcinoma, which is a cancer that is usually found in the lungs that would then metastasize to the brain. After multiple full body CAT scans, there is no sign of cancer anywhere else in her body including the lungs (thank God), but makes for a very unusual case.

Of course the control freak that I am :) I stayed to visit with the oncologist to make sure he got my seal of approval, and researched her other doctors to make sure they were the best in their field.

Her oncologist believes this may have started as long ago as 4 years, which means the cancer is slow growing (a good thing!!) and not very aggressive (another good thing). Because of the way the cancer formed, she is stage 4 (not such a good thing). She will begin radiation as soon as possible, and after seeing how the cancer reacts to this the doctors will make further decisions. Chemotherapy is not an option for her type of cancer because of a barrier between the brain and the rest of the blood system.


I'll update with any new information as I have any. Also be sure to check out her LotsaHelpingHands calendar to see if you can help with car rides to and from treatment, I know we all appreciate any help you can give! If you want to sign up for notifications when the calendar is updated, email me at ashley@ashleybartoletti.com -- Thanks in advance.

No comments: